Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

North Idaho - Lots to Do!

Living in North Idaho means that we're blessed with four seasons of fun. Having grown up in Coeur d' Alene, I truly appreciate the ability to swim in natural lakes and rivers, ski in the summer and winter, hike in the woods or just hang out with friends at the beach.

I want nothing more than for my son to have the same experiences that I had as a child growing up here. Autism however, affects his ability participate in activities. He gets overwhelmed by things that others wouldn't think twice about. He gets easily distracted by things like rocks or water. Dogs and loud noises scare the crap out of him. He has difficulty waiting for things to happen. He doesn't play with other kids.

This makes participating in life a little bit more difficult for us.

My job is to support him while he participates in life. To do so means that I need to be armed with information such as
  • How far is the parking from the event?
  • How big will the crowds be and will there be dogs?
  • What is the bathroom situation going to be?
  • Will there be any food there that he can't have (allergies) and will I need to develop a defensive strategy?
  • What things might provoke some anxiety for my son?
  • Woodchips or rocks?
  • Are there any water hazards?
  • What is my exit strategy going to be if my son doesn't want to leave?

If you're a parent of a typically-developing child you might not see the importance of knowing such details. If I ignore these details, it has the potential of developing into a situation where my son has increased anxiety and frustration, often ending in a "melt-down" with screaming and and lashing out. Autism doesn't mean that kids need more discipline. It means that they need a longer, more intense period of time to learn behaviors that are appropriate and the way they do that is to be positively supported through their experiences and of course - practice, practice, practice.

We will be reviewing recreational opportunities in North Idaho (and Eastern Washington) through the lens of disability. It is our hope that families supporting those with disabilities will get out and participate (because they will know what to expect and know how to prepare) and that those without disabilities will come to understand the need for and benefits of inclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment